Friday, November 25, 2011

Lightened up, healthier Jambalaya

One of my favorite meals, especially in the Autumn and Winter months, is Jambalaya - This recipe was adapted from a recipe my husband found a few years ago on the internet that used summer sausage, which we had a few of as part of a Christmas Gift box from Swiss Colony or Figis.  In my version, I use brown rice, instead of white, increased the veggies a bit and replaced the high fat summer sausage with a low fat chicken sausage.
(Full ingredient list is at the end of the post)


There area number of chicken sausages on the market now, so look for a flavor that is low in fat and a flavor that appeals to you - The one I used here was the most point friendly I've found so far.  It's a little different every time I make it - between trying different chicken sausages and different types of tomatoes.  The original recipe called for stewed tomatoes, but I use whatever appeals to me at the time :)


This one I found at our local ShopRite and is only 2 PPV per link; most I've found have been 3 PPV per link.



When I saw this new flavor, I just thought it was perfect for Jambalaya - use whatever variety you feel will work for you :)



Start by dicing 3 medium celery stalks, 1 large red onion and 2 small bell peppers - I used a red and an orange bell pepper for more nutrition; colored peppers have *much* more vitamin C than green and I personally prefer their flavor, I rarely ever buy green bell peppers any more...

Sometimes I use pre-cooked (leftover) chicken, but this time I used 15 oz (raw weight) boneless skinless chicken breast that I browned and cubed.


Add 1 Tbs Canola or Olive Oil to a large skillet or chef's pan and add the veggies - saute until onions are translucent.



Add 3 clove(s) garlic clove, minced, 1/2 tsp each dried rosemary, thyme, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika (I like smoked) and 2 tsp chili powder (I like to use 1 reg chili powder and 1 Ancho chili powder) and saute for a minute or two.



Add 1 1/2 cups brown rice - I like brown basmati for this - and saute for a few minutes to toast the rice - be careful not to scorch the rice mixture or you'll have to start over from scratch :o 



Add one can stewed or diced tomatoes of your choice, 2 cups water, 1 large or 2 small bay leaves and salt and pepper - cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender - if all liquid hasn't been absorbed, remove lid, turn heat up a bit and simmer, stirring, until liquid is absorbed/cooked off.



Remove bay leaf/leaves, add cooked chicken, sliced sausage, and about 3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley and cooke another coupleminutes to heat through.  I also added 5 oz thawed cooked peeled shrimp (I always keep a bag in the freezer) at the end and stirred it in - they'll be warmed by the hot dish - you don;t want to really cook them or they may become tough.




Yum!  I like mine with a good drizzle of hot sauce :)

For 6 servings, this dish came to 9 PPV - other times, with other choices of sausage etc, it has been anywhere from 10 to 12 PPV.


Jambalaya

1 Tbsp canola oil
3 medium stalks uncooked celery
2 small uncooked bell pepper
1 large uncooked red onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice, uncooked
2 cups water
15 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp parsley
1 pkg Thin 'n Trim Chipotle Peach Chicken Sausage - 1 link/2oz/56g
15 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
5 oz cooked shrimp
Hot Sauce

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't keep your blog going. I have a bento blog and a cooking blog, and I post more to my tiny skillet blog. The tiny bento will still get new post now and then. I think many would enjoy your cooking blog even though there are so many out there. Usually you find your own little community within. Good Luck!

    The healthy jambalaya looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to grow your experience only keep visiting this website and be updated with the latest news posted here.

    ReplyDelete