Wednesday, June 3, 2009

You don't have to have a special box to Bento!

I have been posting on livejournal for a while, but decided to check out this service to compare them. If you'd like to see my previous posts, they are available at http://kashmirkat.livejournal.com/


For today, I wanted to use an example of a bento packed in a regular container. This one is very fruit heavy and a little light on protein I think, but very healthy w/ lots of different colors :) I read an article just the other day on phytonutrients and how different colored produce contains different phytonutrients (not that I didn't already know that, but it was a good reminder!). What I didn't know, or more to the point, realize, is that the darker and deeper the color, the more phytonutrients the produce contains - so always look for the darkest orange carrots, the brightest red strawberries and the greenest cucumbers :)

I don't use food picks all that often - mainly because I just don't think about them. Besides, Rob probably doesn't find them quite as cute as I do - lol :) But they are a fun way to add some cuteness when you don't have the time, or even just the energy, to do any other cute touches.




Tier 1 -- Pineapple, Blueberries, kiwi, Cucumber slices, carrot sticks and macaroni salad w/ nori flowers all decorated w/ some food picks :) Tier 2: Mixed Spring Greens Salad w/ strawberries and walnuts - He has raspberry vinaigrette in a container for the salad

The outer design of the strawberries was lost as I did the inner flower design, but I didn't have the patience to redo it last night - I decided it would do as it was :P


Kat's Bento:


Top Tier: Cajun Catfish chunks (leftovers), rice w/ an umeboshi, spinach namul

Bottom Tier: Blueberries, Pineapple and strawberries


Bird's Eye View:





The box I used for Rob's bento came from organize.com and is a great value: http://www.organize.com/lunchbox.html

Kat's box is yet another from ichibankanusa.com from the Natural Lunch line: http://www.ichibankanusa.com/natural_lunch.asp

Happy Bento-ing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment